Pages: « 1 »

sludge
Pretend you are Brian Burke
Date: Feb 18, 2009 7:16:31 PM PST
Author: sludge

Okay, you are Brian Burke and you are in control of the most important team in hockey....what do you do? Who do you trade and who do you aquire. Let's hear your wish list. Be realistic, you can't trade Ponikarovsky for Ovechkin and try to keep salaries under the cap limit.
I am starting to miss Harold Ballard

sludge
Pretend you are Brian Burke
Date: Feb 18, 2009 7:50:29 PM PST
Author: sludge

The first thing I would do is whatever the hell it takes to end up with the first overall pick this year. Tavares is worth building your team around. Unfortunately whoever ends up with the first pick, isn't going to be interested in Kaberle and Blake. The first pick will go to a team that is rebuilding like the Leafs. If we are going to trade for Tavares, we will have to give up a lot of prospects and some picks. It is impossible to know who will land the number one pick right now, but I would be willing to give up anyone but Schenn, plus a handful of prospects and a couple of decent picks to land Tavares. Let's face it, the big name stars are locked up long term (Crosby, Ovechkin, Richards) so the only way to land a player worth rebuilding around is to draft one. Even the Leafs incompetant scouting staff would be capable of selecting Tavares with the first overall pick.
Next, I would be on the phone to the Nashville predators. I would try to trade for Jordan Tootoo before the deadline. He won't be an impact player in the playoffs so NAshville will be willing to move him. In the summer I would try to trade for JP Dumont. He is signed for a few more years and is reasonably priced at $4 million a year. I would also wait a year and a half and try to sign roberto Luongo. His contract is up in 2010 and he could be the goalie of our future.
There have been rumours of the Leafs trading for Mike Camelerri, I like that idea, I think he would play well for the Leafs.
As for the current roster, the only untouchable is Luke Schenn. Everyone else is expendable and should be moved the for the right price. Build up our supply of draft picks so we have something to offer whoever gets the first pick over all. Hell, if we trade the little remaining talent we have, we could end up with the first pick over all.
Here is a philosophy I htink the Leafs should adapt......try to aquire some Leaf killers. Guys like Stephen Weiss and Corey Stillman have always played well against the Leafs, imagine how they would play wearing the blue and white. Those 2 might be a little old to rebuild around, but use them as an example of the guys to try to aquire in the future. If they enjoy beating us, imagine how they would play for us. There are a lot of Leaf killers around the NHL and most of them are guys who don't earn a lot of money and could probably be aquired for a reasonable price.
That's all for now
If I have any more dumb ideas, I will post them here.
I am starting to miss Harold Ballard

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.